A portrait lesson on how to paint a smiling girl in a limited colour palette.
In this class you’ll learn how to paint a portrait using a reference photo and capturing the emotion of the girl smiling. We will be using a limited colourpalette and I will show you how to mix the colours. We will finish with some expressive line work in charcoal.
What Will You Learn?
- to draw a portrait using a reference photo
- to fixate your drawing
- to achieve emotion in the portrait
- to paint with acrylics
- tonal value to create depth
- painting teeth
- using only a limited colour palette
- to create expressive line work
- adding an acrylic wash for the background
Part 1, Introduction and art supplies
introduction and artsupplies05:43
Part 2, Drawing the portrait
drawing the portrait39:29
Part 3, Colour mixing
How to mix the colours11:49
Part 4, Painting the portrait
painting the portrait 147:02
painting the portrait 234:23
Part 5, painting the mouth, teeth and background
how to paint the mouth and teeth and adding a wash in the background39:25